Friday 12 February 2016

Gravitational Waves and Conscience

Probably this is a diary rather than an article, It's around 2 O'clock in the morning and I'm not able to sleep... I'm just excited about the official announcement; detection of gravitational waves...After a long,deep, enthusiastic quest. That indeed is a big leap for the world. No! I must say big leap for them who love and feel theoretical physics...

A few fractions of a second carried us to a distance 1.3 billion light year from earth... to an event happened about a few hundred millions to around 2 billion years in the past... Answering what happened, the masses of each spinning black holes, the mass after the merger occurred, and so on... That's indeed wonderful. Congratulations LIGO team! Congratulations to the collaboration team from my institute too-IISER TVM-.

I am even excited about the upcoming LIGO India, with which we will be participating in the quest for GW...

I don't care how much money we will be spending on it... It's merely my pleasure or interest as in the case of reading a book. We read a book because we want to know what it talks about. We don't care about the world around us, we don't care how many die out of starvation or any other diseases. For me physics is something similar to this. I never care about the world when I read Quantum Field Theory or String Theory. I don't care if it is useful for the mankind... All that I want to know is what is it? how is it working and what's the story behind it?...

While I come back from my institute around 10:30 pm, as in any grandma story with not much surprising element I heard a familiar voice; it was my conscience. It was asking 'Am I being selfish? Is it moral to live a luxurious life having LIGO when we are surrounded by millions of deprived??? '

We need both social as well as scientific progress. How to prioritize them? How to treat them economically? I do not know now...

A few links on gravitational waves including the paper in PRL are given below.

http://www.nature.com/news/einstein-s-gravitational-waves-found-at-last-1.19361?WT.mc_id=FBK_NatureNews
https://www.theguardian.com/science/across-the-universe/live/2016/feb/11/gravitational-wave-announcement-latest-physics-einstein-ligo-black-holes-live?CMP=share_btn_tw
http://journals.aps.org/prl/pdf/10.1103/PhysRevLett.116.061102
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5Ycv2yYNG8



No comments:

Post a Comment